It’s more likely now than it was a decade ago to see the fit, healthy people you know snacking on chocolate between workouts. Is it wishful thinking?
Reviewing modern and historical claims about the health benefits of chocolate, a few things become clear.
- Throughout time, chocolate has played a role in the medicinal practices of various cultures
- Modern research has verified many of these traditional uses
- Of these potential benefits of chocolate, digestive health, antioxidant properties and aspects of heart health appear most relevant and validated
- Flavonols are the secret behind the health properties of chocolate
- Dark chocolate is the way to go
- Watch out for added sugars, fats and other ingredients
- Naturally sugarless and stocked with fiber, cocoa nibs may be one of the healthiest ways to reap the benefits of chocolate
- Despite all of its health benefits, chocolate is no replacement for the other fruits and vegetables that offer flavonols
The bottom line: in moderation, chocolate brings a lot to the table.