Out of the many audacious goals we could have adopted, a world without heart attacks and strokes is the most feasible. Many deaths from heart attack and stroke are preventable. And not just preventable by medicine, but thanks to steps that patients can take on their own.
Helping patients take their blood pressure at home
There are three qualities that make self-monitoring effective for patients: convenience, accuracy and the ability to share their results.
- Wrist and upper arm monitors are portable, making it easy for patients to take their blood pressure in different parts of their home, at work, or on the go.
- Accuracy is essential to give doctors confidence that their patients are well taken care of outside of the office or clinic. It’s crucial that blood pressure monitors are clinically validated by organizations like the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation and European Society of Hypertension.
- Results should be shareable. The value of blood pressure self-monitoring is multiplied when patients can share their results for expert review. Monitors that sync with patients’ mobile devices make it easy for them to send data to their doctors.
Monitoring at home is important, but understanding the big picture—why heart disease and stroke happen and how to prevent them—is just as crucial.
Providing tools to build patient knowledge
Simple, straightforward health tips that physicians can offer their patients helps individuals focus on prevention at home. Plainspoken advice that makes it easy to adopt a healthy diet, exercise, reduce stress, and improve quality of life is the way to go.
OMRON blog topics include:
- Blood pressure awareness
- Awareness of cardiovascular health such as warning signs of stroke
- Nutrition tips like heart-healthy eating
- Low-cost, high-gain exercise suggestions for any time of year
- Shared challenges to make health fun, engaging and accountable
- Help building habits and maintaining routines during holidays
- Natural, drug-free ways to manage pain
Going for ZeroTM
Going for Zero is a commitment OMRON makes every day to a world without heart attacks or strokes. Evidence and experience shows just how much of cardiovascular health is within our control as providers, patients and people. Take the pledge!
Check back often for the latest posts to share with your patients and watch for coming innovations in the world of portable, accurate blood pressure monitoring.