OMRON TENS UNIT Therapy Solution Enables Pain-Free Gardening
Post Updated: July 8, 2022
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – April 22, 2013 – With April’s National Garden Month underway, your planting plans may be ready, but your body is likely unprepared for the bending, kneeling, and lifting that go along with it. Savvy gardeners have a secret weapon – OMRON’s TENS Unit Therapy Pain Relief unit, which keeps your green thumb from tiring by eliminating gardening aches and pains with proven physical therapy technology.
OMRON’s over-the-counter TENS devices can relieve lower back pain, as well as muscle and joint pain that are all too familiar for gardeners and non-gardeners alike. Lower back pain is the number one reported pain symptom in the country. This 100 percent drug-free, non-prescription therapy is a smart option for tending to aches and pains inflamed by gardening.
“As an avid gardener with two knee replacements, I’m always in search of alternative tactics to combat joint pain,” said Melinda Myers, a professional horticulturist with an eye for innovative solutions. “Electrotherapy (TENS Therapy) treatment lets me garden without needing to stop due to the joint pain that often comes with kneeling, reaching, and lifting.”
Myers doesn’t rely solely on TENS relief to keep her gardening pain free. To reduce lower back and joint pain, she suggests following these simple pain-free gardening tips:
- Vertical Gardening – Garden up! Grow plants on a blank wall, fence, or post. Height makes gardening easier and creates visual interest.
- Choose Your Tools Wisely – Look for ergonomic grips, long-handled tools, and ratcheted tools to keep your posture upright, give you more power and make the grip easier.
- Leverage Heavy Loads – Split up large loads into smaller increments. Use everyday items like a wagon or winter sled to help you move supplies around the garden with ease.
- Take Breaks – Work five minute breaks in your gardening schedule to lower your likelihood of injury. Try easy back stretches from the waist and do not garden for longer than 20-30 minutes straight. Stay attentive to weather temperatures and flexibility as well – do additional stretches or warm-ups if you feel stiff or cold.
- Keep Tools Sharp – Get your local store to file trowels, shears, and even shovels. Dulled tools mean more strain – make sure your tools are well-kept to cut down on unnecessary added effort.
If you follow all of these tips and still wind up with back pain or you already have joint or low back pain we recommend a few tips to alleviate acute pain:
- Heat and/or ice treatments
- Exercise, stretching techniques
- Over-the-counter therapies such as OMRON’s drug-free TENS Therapy Pain Relief unit. Begin managing pain in about 15 minutes.
- Always consult a your healthcare provider (physical therapist, chiropractor, or physician) about your pain and therapy, especially if after four weeks your acute pain has not lessened.
TENS THERAPY TREATMENT
OMRON’s TENS Therapy Pain Relief unit is the first product of its kind to be available nationally at major retail chains. It is an over-the-counter product which uses Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) technology to deliver gentle, massage-like pulses for on-the-spot pain relief. An effective drug-free pain relief method, electrotherapy is commonly used by physical therapists to treat muscle and joint pain.
“TENS Therapy has proven effective in physical therapy for more than 30 years,” said Dr. Jeffrey Mannheimer, a physical therapist on the forefront of electrotherapy research. “The effect of such therapy is immediate, repeatable, and drug-free, making it an alternative choice for chronic and acute pain relief.”
The OMRON TENS Unit Therapy is sold across major drug retailers such as CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid and other retailers in the pain products area as well as online retailers such as Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, Walgreens.com and omronhealthcare.com. For additional tips on managing lower back and joint pain, visit omronhealthcare.com/tens-units/.